Proceeding with the water rights hearing ‘at this point' is not in the public interest, they say, and wouldn't give adequate time to analyze the impacts of the new proposed Project
The Natural Resources Defense Council, Defenders of Wildlife, and The Bay Institute have filed a request with the State Water Resources Control Board to grant a stay or continuance of Part II of the California Water Fix water rights hearing due to the significant changes that are anticipated to be made to the project. The motion argues that the change in operations of a two-intake single tunnel will necessarily result in significant changes to the project’s potential impacts to water quality, water supply, flows in the Delta, fish and wildlife, and other water rights holders.
This motion is in addition to previous motion filed by the City of Antioch (and others) to delay the hearing in part for similar reasons, and a previous motion by Save the California Delta (and others) alleging ex parte communications.
“Given the significant changes to the project that Petitioners are contemplating, proceeding with the water rights hearing is not in the public interest, would prejudice Protestants by providing them with inadequate time to analyze the impacts of the new proposed Project, and would waste the time and money of Protestants, SWRCB staff and the hearing team,” says the motion.
They also argue that these changes mean that the SWRCB must re-notice an amended petition for this proceeding.
Yesterday, Restore the Delta joined in the motion; likely other tunnel opponents involved in the proceedings will as well.
- Delta tunnel opponents file request for continuance of Cal Water Fix proceedings at the State Water Board, allege ex-parte communications
- State Water Board delays start of Part 2 of Cal Water Fix hearing to review motions for continuance
- DWR responds to allegations of ex parte communications regarding Cal Water Fix; says hearing at State Water Board should continue
- City of Antioch files motion for Continuance of Phase 2 of Cal Water Fix hearing and Reconsideration of Reopening of Part 1
- DWR responds to City of Antioch motion for continuance; State Water Board further delays Part 2 of Cal Water Fix water rights hearing
Sign up for daily emails and get all the Notebook's aggregated and original water news content delivered to your email box by 9AM. Breaking news alerts, too. Sign me up!