THIS JUST IN … Department of Water Resources withdraws consistency determination for California Water Fix
“While DWR firmly believes the timing of filing the Certification of Consistency for WaterFix was appropriate based on the thorough record that had been prepared for the project and that this record more than adequately supports the findings that WaterFix is consistent with Delta Plan policies, DWR appreciates that there are unresolved issues related to interpretation of the requirements of the Delta Reform Act and Delta Plan policies,” the letter states. “Therefore, DWR is hereby withdrawing the Certification of Consistency for California Water Fix that was filed on July 27, 2018.”
Read the full letter here: DWR to DSC WaterFix Consistency Certification 12.7.18
Brief background: The Department of Water Resources filed a consistency determination with the Delta Stewardship Council that the California Water Fix project was consistent with the Delta Plan as required by the Delta Reform Act. That consistency determination was then appealed by nine parties. In October, a public hearing was held where evidence was presented by both sides; subsequent to that, the Delta Stewardship Council staff issued a draft determination that not enough evidence existed in the record to support DWR’s determination that the California Water Fix was consistent with the Delta Plan, and staff recommended the Council remand the matter back to the Department of Water Resources. In mid-November, the Council held a two-day workshop that ended with Chair Fiorini saying the submission of the consistency determination was premature and recommended DWR withdraw the consistency determination, (which DWR has done today.)
- CAL WATER FIX CONSISTENCY DETERMINATION APPEAL WORKSHOP: Delta tunnel proponents come out in support of Cal Water Fix at the Delta Stewardship Council
- Cal Water Fix workshop at the Delta Stewardship Council ends with Chair Fiorini suggesting the Department of Water Resources withdraw consistency determination
FOR MORE INFORMATION …
- Access the staff’s draft determination and other materials by clicking here.
- Watch the workshop on webcast today and tomorrow by clicking here.
- Legal analysis: Delta Stewardship Council Staff Determination Presents Hurdle for California WaterFix Project. from Somach, Simmons & Dunn
Sign up for daily email service and you’ll always be one of the first to know!
- Sign up for daily emails and get all the Notebook’s aggregated and original water news content delivered to your email box by 9AM. Breaking news alerts like this one, too. Sign me up!
constantly watching over the world of California water