Sonoran Institute and the Babbitt Center for Land and Water Policy are partnering with Local Government Commission to develop a California-tailored Growing Water Smart program. We are seeking expressions of interest from California communities to gauge demand for this program.
Growing Water Smart California
Integrated Water and Land Use Planning Workshop
When: Summer or Fall of 2021.
Where: Online Workshop
Application Deadline: March 1, 2021
California is navigating challenges around water availability, access, and management. Many users, from farms to cities, depend on water to thrive, and all Californians have a human right to safe, clean, and affordable drinking water. The way our urban areas grow directly impacts our water supply and demand. Similarly, our water management should inform future land use decisions.
Local governments can grow water smart by collaborating to resolve their water resource challenges.
The Growing Water Smart program introduces communities to the full range of communications, public engagement, planning, and policy implementation tools to realize their watershed health and community resiliency goals.
Participants in this program will gain:
- Insight. A better understanding of how land use and climatic trends impact water supply and demand at local, state, and basin levels.
- Flexibility. The strategies and tools to integrate water and land use planning to better adapt to change and uncertainty.
- Engagement. Decision makers from multiple disciplines, departments, agencies, and organizations commit to common goals around water.
- Clarity. Clear and concise language to communicate critical community goals around water to gain community and decision maker support.
- Collaboration. Regional professional relationships with peers.
- A path forward. An action plan tailored to your community’s needs.
Does this sounds like a valuable program for your community?
Download the PDF to learn more and follow the instructions to express your interest in our online form or via email.CA_GWS_RF-LOI-FY22_Final