A list of posts published on Maven’s Notebook this week …
Note to readers: Sign up for weekly email service and you will receive this post as an email in your inbox on Friday mornings. Readers on daily email service can add weekly email service by updating their subscription preferences. Click here to sign up!
ACWA CONFERENCE: Adapting to Flood, Fire, and Drought: A Case Study of the American River
The Governor’s Water Resilience Portfolio Initiative underscores the need for communities to maintain and diversify water supplies and to protect and enhance natural environments to prepare for the impacts of climate change. At ACWA’s virtual conference held in July of 2020, a panel comprised of agencies described the experience of the American River region in evaluating climate impacts on their watershed in a new cutting-edge study and the comprehensive suite of projects designed to address increasing threats from more frequent and intense floods, fires, and droughts.
DELTA CONVEYANCE PROJECT: The Delta Independent Science Board discusses the upcoming environmental review
Back in April of 2020, the Delta Independent Science Board (DISB) submitted a letter to the Department of Water Resources during the comment period for the Notice of Preparation for the Delta Conveyance Project. The letter indicated that the Delta Independent Science Board planned to review the environmental impact report for the Delta Conveyance Project as part of their legislative mandate in the 2009 Delta Reform Act to provide scientific oversight of programs that support adaptive management. In addition, the letter shared insights and expectations based on the previous review of the environmental documents for both the Bay Delta Conservation Plan and the California Water Fix.
The Department of Water Resources came to the August DISB meeting to provide an overview of the project including timeline and review process, as well as some thoughts on the Board’s letter.
WEEKEND DAILY DIGEST: Delta tunnel’s cost estimated at $15.9B; Wildfires, record heat ravage Golden State; IWVGA passes basin replenishment fee; and more … READ IT HERE: Weekend Daily Digest
MONDAY: Hurricane Genevieve may be gone, but ‘ghost’ may bring more thunderstorms to CA; Assembly kills Friant-Kern Canal funding bill; Are abandoned mines affecting our drinking water or could they soon?; Addressing water equity in a time of rising costs; and more … READ IT HERE: Monday’s Daily Digest
TUESDAY: Making the most of water for the environment; Q&A: A faster track for ecosystem restoration; 4 reasons meadow restoration is good for all of us; New water affiliates group forms at Scripps’ Center For Western Weather And Water Extremes; and more … READ IT HERE: Tuesday’s Daily Digest
WEDNESDAY: Sacramento River Science Partnership shares science to find fish and water solutions; The biblical flood that will drown CA; Virus contributes to possible big salmon season; AB 3030 raises several questions for ag groups; and more … READ IT HERE: Wednesday’s Daily Digest
THURSDAY: CA dams need repairs to survive future major flood, says author; CalEPA’s Jared Blumenfeld on grounding COVID recovery in climate action; Feinstein secures GAO review of EPA’s SF enforcement actions; Environmental justice becomes part of California city planning; and more … READ IT HERE: Thursday’s Daily Digest
FRIDAY: California and the Forest Service have a plan to prevent future catastrophic fires; CPUC approves structural change to water bills; Paso Robles to lose $458M due to SGMA implementation; and more … READ IT HERE: Friday’s Daily Digest
- BLOG ROUND-UP: What’s missing in the Delta cost estimate, Water Blueprint proposes valley-wide sales tax, Faster track for restoration, Old readings on California water, and more …
- SCIENCE NEWS: 4 reasons meadow restoration is good for all of us; Where will snow survive in a warming world?; A bartender’s guide to scientific success; and more …
- NOTICE OF PERMIT APPLICATION: Delta Conveyance, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Contra Costa, and Alameda Counties, California
- WATER PLAN eNEWS: ~~Lunch-MAR~ FEMA Funding ~ Transportation Plan ~ Franks Tract~ EPIC Forum ~ WateReuse Symposium ~~
- DELTA eNEWS: ~~ Conveyance Project~ Science Blog~ Science Workshops~ DWR Finding~ Water Education ~~
- Take the San Francisco Bay Data Exploration Challenge!
- NOTICE: Public comment period for the proposed Suction Dredge Mining General Permit extended indefinitely
- HARMFUL ALGAE BLOOM: Update 8/21/2020
- NOTICE: Proposed Basin Plan Amendment for the SF Bay Regarding Chlorine Water Quality Objectives
- FUNDING OPPORTUNITY: FEMA Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA)
- OPPORTUNITY TO COMMENT: CDFW’s Franks Tract Plan Now Available for Public Review