OROVILLE DAM: Construction update with latest video, photos
Construction on the Main Spillway
- DWR remains focused on meeting the primary objective of the Lake Oroville Spillways Emergency Recovery Project to repair and reconstruct the 3,000-foot gated flood control spillway, also known as the main spillway, to handle flows of 100,000 cubic feet per second by November 1.
- There are 28 days left on the construction timeline to reconstruct 2,270 feet of main spillway this year:
- Placement of reinforced, structural concrete in the upper and lower chutes is 60 percent complete. By November 1 structural concrete will be placed on 870 feet of the upper chute of the spillway and 350 feet on the lower chute of the spillway.
- Crews have installed more than 2,500 slab anchors to date in the upper and lower chutes – 80 percent of what is required for 2017.
- The 1,050-foot middle section of the spillway chute, including filling in the two scour holes, is now 70 percent complete, with approximately 230,000 cubic yards of roller compacted concrete placed. This middle section will be completed to final design with a top layer of structural concrete in 2018.
- The 730 feet of main spillway leading to the radial gates will be patched, reinforced and left in place this year. It will be removed and reconstructed with structural concrete in 2018.
* A conceptual graphic of main spillway construction is available here.
Construction at the Emergency Spillway
- Work at the emergency spillway is also on schedule to complete construction of the secant pile wall, or cut-off wall, in late December 2017 or early January 2018.
- Crews have completed 30 percent of the secant pile wall.
- Work to re-route transmission lines around the main and emergency spillways is complete. The new permanent transmission lines are now in place and do not cross any part of the main or emergency spillways. The temporary lines that crossed over construction of the secant pile cut-off wall were removed on September 24.
- The independent Board of Consultants met for the 12th time with DWR on September 21 and 22. DWR will post the BOC’s memo recapping this meeting to its website when it is received.
The latest video from the Department of Water Resources …
Some photos …
Sign up for daily emails and get all the Notebook's aggregated and original water news content delivered to your email box by 9AM. Breaking news alerts, too. Sign me up!